Sunday, July 22, 2007

white square little book

The Mr Men Series - Roger Hargreaves - Review:

The size of the book (small), the colours used (bright) and the drawing style on the cover (naïve) told me I was looking at a Mr Man Book.
yep I saw in Powells box this morning: L'ami de Madame Chance. and I had no distinct memory of the series but some memory of the square white little (2 staples as binding!) book with colorful person.
The books are all exactly the same in format – small, square, with white covers with a bold illustration of the featured Mr Man on front.
The Mr Men are all drawn with a cartoon-like simplicity that makes them so appealing to kids. They have funny shapes – ranging from round or oval right through to triangular and, in the case of Mr Greedy, pot bellied. They also have bright colours.

The Mr Men are a bunch of funny little fellows who seem to live inside a child’s drawing. Each one of them has only one defining characteristic – and this provides him with his entire life’s purpose. Mr Small, for instance, spends his whole day coping with being small. This includes eating one cornflake for breakfast. That makes me laugh even now!

The Little Miss books arrived in the Eighties...

Mr Hargreaves died in 1988, but his legacy lives on, and now his son Adam does the drawings. I can’t tell the difference – the boy certainly inherited his dad’s talent. I notice that the blurb inside says ‘copyright Mrs Roger Hargreaves’ which made we wonder if maybe his wife now writes the stories, using her husbands name? The internet let me down on this and I don’t know the answer. yep I came to this via ggl: Mrs.Roger.Hargreaves bcs I was wondering.

No comments: