Sunday, March 11, 2007

wandering scuffy tugboat

Wandering Significance: An Essay on Conceptual Behaviour -by Mark Wilson

The image “http://images.bestwebbuys.com/muze/books/54/0199269254.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

0199269254.jpg

Jacket illustration by Tibor Gergely from Scuffy the Tugboat by Gertrude Crampton, copyright 1946,1955 ... Used by permission of Golden Books ...


Scuffy the Tugboat (Little Golden Storybook) - by Gertrude Crampton:

Scuffy the tugbaot is one of the few books that have the meaning of there's no place like home.

A Kid's Review - December 14, 2006
Scuffy the tugbaot is one of the few books that have the meaning of there's no place like home. Scuffy the tugboat is about a little boat who thinks he has bigger priorities than hes given. Scuffy doesn't want to just sail in a tub or the sink, Scuffy wants to go on the a big adventure. As Scuffy went on his adventure he realized that he didn't a big river all he wanted in his life was a young boy, a guy with a poke a dot tie, and his favorite bath tub.



Modern Art Notes: For the kind among you who emailed to ask why I hadn't written word one about Robert Smithson's Floating Island (the photo at left, of Scuffy the Tugboat pulling the Island, is by this guy) on MAN, here's why: I wrote about it for today's LA Times. I'm pretty sure I have a few nuggets that no one else has written. I love the Island. It's proof that conceptual art can be visually engaging, that it can amuse and delight, that objecthood is as important as a smart idea.

No comments: